[Dixielandjazz] Memphis

glen page gpage at direct.ca
Wed Oct 1 18:56:23 PDT 2003

Hi Tom and y'all,

I spent three weeks in the Delta early this summer. Like you Tom I was disappointed with the music in Memphis.

The food was great but the highlight for anybody with an interest in blues and early country is the Smithsonian Soul and R&B Museum.The name of the place did not attract me at all but as I was traveling with my son on a bonding expedition to trace the heroes of the blues I went along with his suggestion to go in.

The museum is half a block off Beale,next to the Gibson gtr. factory. With the use of an audio program, free with admission, one can spend hours listening to superb  early blues,country music from its first recorded days and on and on.

I am a devotee of early blues and despite having entered in the spirit of compromise I found the museum to be a most moving experience. All in all I would rate this as a MUST for blues and/or country music fans who are in the area.

Beyond Memphis our trip was the thrill of a lifetime. I saw Bunk's grave, Charlie Patton's grave, heard great blues in jukes, stuffed myself with crawfish and catfish and had the opportunity to hear the music I love in its natural surroundings. All this was at the instigation of my son who said "Dad, we'll do it together". just love him.

Cheers, Glen.