[Dixielandjazz] Re: Alan Greenspan & Henry Jerome Band.

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 30 16:51:55 PST 2003

> "Bill Biffle" <bbiffle at swcp.com> wrote:
>
> "After graduation from high school Greenspan studied music at the
> prestigious Julliard School and accepted his first real job as a clarinet
> and saxophone player for the Henry Jerome Band, a swing band based in New
> York. "
>
> This is the only reference I can find to a band that AG played in.

You are correct Bill. This was his only professional gig situation in a band.
Right after High School and before he went on to University and earned multiple
degrees in Economics. Below is a partial bio of the Henry Jerome Orchestra
which prior to, 1944 was a not so good, "sweet" dance band. Note the tie to
Greenspan, Leonard Garment and Richard Nixon. Interesting how "history"
develops quite by chance.

Excerpted from Henry Jerome Band Bio:

"In 1944, Henry re-organized the orchestra. During 1945, when they were playing
at Child's Paramount Restaurant in Times Square, New York City. Bandmates
included two saxophonists, Leonard Garment and Alan Greenspan, Al Haig on
piano, and 'Tiny' Kahn, who was the band's drummer. The band's arranger was a
young Johnny Mandel.

When Garment left the band, he continued his education, and became a practicing
Attorney at Law, while Alan Greenspan also continued his education majoring in
Economics. Garment later befriended a young attorney, Richard Nixon, who had
just joined the same firm at which Garment was practicing. It was Garment who
persuaded Nixon that he should continue a career in Politics. When Nixon became
President, he appointed Garment as his personal attorney, and it was Garment
who recommended his friend Alan Greenspan to Nixon, who subsequently nominated
Greenspan to become the Chairman of the U.S. Federal Reserve Banking System.
Garment often joked that Greenspan was a better economist than a reedman."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Musicians Rule. ;-)