[Dixielandjazz] Re: Max Morath

G. William Oakley gwilliamoakley at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 29 21:04:17 PST 2003

Hi Don:
Also at that time Max was appearing on Channel 11 in Colorado Springs doing
a fifteen minute TV show with his soon to be wife Norma.  Their theme song
was "Oh, We Ain't Got a Barrel of Money."  In 1956 I auditioned for my first
professional theater and Max was the piano player at the Imperial Hotel in
Cripple Creek, a spot he held for a number of years.  He taught me my
audition song, "I'd Rather Be a Gentleman's Gentleman Than a Gentleman On My
Own."
He is indeed a fine gentleman and in later years we both had apartments in
the same building in NYC and got to know each other.
Best,
Bill