[Dixielandjazz] Re: Art & Jazz & Audience

Steven Holzer slholzer at iquest.net
Sat Nov 29 16:47:56 PST 2003

I think I should end this exchange before you die of twisted tongue
syndrome, Steve.

I suspect that we are much alike, but for my complete lack of any
musical ability. I agree that it is how the audience feels that makes
for significance and if that makes Kenny G super-significant, I can live
with it. Nothing in that requires me to share their enthusiasm. I still
suspect that Woody Allen will not go down as significant in the music
world, but will live on as a heavy weight in the comedy/moviemaking
business where he belongs. Certainly more people are taking home Kenny G
CD's to listen to later than are taking home Woody's. But I agree with
the comment that was made that at least we should give Woody credit for
generating some jobs. We gave that much credit to Ted Lewis and we
generally agreed that he stank as a musician. I also agree that as long
as a person is doing no harm, I will not begrudge him whatever success
he can derive in this world.

Critics! I was one once, briefly. I eventually decided that it was a
pointless endeavor and switched to being a jazz "reporter" instead. The
jazz audience is, in fact, highly fragmented, whereas most publications
are looking for something less divided. They would probably be better
off to pay someone to tell jazz fans what they can expect and not
whether they should like it or not. If you are acute enough to know a
particular critic's tastes and how they stack up against your own, you
can still make good use of one, but you'll probably have to work harder
than you should and you'll probably end up ignoring him instead. I am
convinced that self-appointed "critics" are driven by ego.
I am always skeptical about anything driven by ego. And I like Wyeth.
There was a lot of great art generated for the sake of illustrating
books. And it paid, too!

If you hadn't thrown in that crack about Nuncio Scaglione, I could have
stopped here and not further endangered your tongue and/or cheeks. Of
course, it implies that in the end Kenny G will not be remembered at
all. So who's the critic now, eh? Never mind, I don't really care.

Steve Holzer