[Dixielandjazz] The Ultimate Synthesizer

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Mon Nov 24 16:52:12 PST 2003

Dear List mates,

Tom Wiggins says,  "Just Say NO !"  to the new technology of vocal "fonts,"

I can only say that I DID "say no" fifteen years ago to typographical fonts
when they were looking for calligraphers to design computer fonts that
looked like hand lettering. While the majority of us professional lettering
artists swore that we would never "sell out" our fellow scribes, there was
one calligrapher (and a very fine one indeed) here in Sacramento who did
exactly that.  Ironically, you can see one of the fonts she designed by
going to the Web site for networking musicians that Doug Burnley posted
about last week.  <http://performers-r-us.com>.  Doug has chosen one of her
fonts for the "Performers-R-Us" logo. (BTW: It looks great, Doug. I like the
rainbow treatment you gave it. Seriously!)

Nowadays, as a substitute teacher, I write "Ms. Giffin" in my best italic on
the front board of each classroom, and the kids shout out,
"Hey! It's the lady who writes like a computer!"

... Not like a monk ...Not like a calligrapher ...Like a computer.

Meanwhile, Brenda Walton is laughing all the way to the bank.

Musical content: "Who's Sorry Now."