[Dixielandjazz] Re: Five String Banjo

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Sun Nov 23 15:23:11 PST 2003

To those who have an interest:

Our banjo player uses a 5 string banjo and alternates between strumming and
picking. His background is in blue-grass. He uses the picking especially during
solos or sometimes when he is outlining a chord in slow time.  You might call
our approach "Dixieland, Lighthouse Style".  He does a great solo on "Washington
& Lee Swing" at fast tempo that is about 1/2 strumming and 1/2 picking.  It
brings down the house.

I've been very satisfied with the result.  Apparently we are the only Dixie band
that uses the approach.  If you want to hear the result, check out my web site
by using google and search using "Russ Monterey Music" and go to the "listen to
the music" button; scroll down to the Dixieland button. You'll notice that at my
request, he allows the chords to "ring" more than the usual banjo "chunk" style.

Russ Guarino