[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in Algiers again

TBW504 at aol.com TBW504 at aol.com
Thu Nov 20 18:27:19 PST 2003

Just received the following message from Kevin Herridge which might interest
those intending a visit to New Orleans. (Kevin Herridge was a Brit. married to
a Cajun lady, but now a naturalised US citizen. He is an expert on Algiers
and its history particularly with regard to jazz. One of his coups was in
tracking down copies of the once thought mythological scandal sheet, "The Cricket".
 PLEASE PROMOTE
Hi y'all,
    After the tremendously successful "Nickel A Dance" held at Warren's
Corner in Algiers Point in October, friends have been asking me when are we going
to have more. Andrew Hall's Jazz Band, the band that played at Warren's Corner,
are starting a month's trial residency at the Old Point Bar, 545 Patterson
Street, on December 5th, 7-10pm. Following gigs will be held on the 12th, 19th &
26th. If successful, we will continue into the New Year. Some of the band
members played regularly at Michaul's original location at Warren's Corner (601
Patterson) in the late 80s so we have waited long enough for them to return!
  We are keeping the gigs early so that the night owls can get an early start
and the rest of us can get an early night! Dancing will be encouraged and
there will be free red beans and rice for those feeling peckish. Please promote
these gigs wherever and whenever you can as we want to make them a success and
bring
traditional jazz back to Algiers Point. Hope to see y'all there,
         Cheers, Kevin Herridge.

Brian Wood