[Dixielandjazz] Happy Birthday - as a Jazz Medley

BudTuba at aol.com BudTuba at aol.com
Thu Nov 20 15:54:53 PST 2003

We, as I am sure many other bands, are often asked to play Happy Birthday for
someone in the audience.  I am planning to prepare a comic medley of songs so
that it does the job, and is tolerable for the band to play, while making it
really fun for people to listen to with gentle jabs at the celebrant.  I am
looking for suggestions of songs that would fit this goal.  In scanning through
my song sheet list, the following stand out, but for the under 40's crowd,
might just not mean much to them having no familiarity with them:

Silver Threads Among The Gold
The Old Grey Mare
The Old Oaken Bucket
Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone
After You've Gone
Blue Turning Grey Over You
St. James Infirmary
When The Saints ...
I'll Be Glad When You're Dead, You Rascal You
Mama Don't ''Low No Birthday's 'Round Here
Memories Of You
My Blue Heaven
Old Spinning Wheel
Red Sails In The Sunset
Old Rockin' Chair
A Hundred Years From Today
It's A Sin To Tell A Lie (Be sure it's true, when you say you're younger..)
Just A Little While To Stay Here

What do you others do for this request?

Bud Taylor
Smugtown Stompers