[Dixielandjazz] Re: The Treniers

Jim Beebe jbeebe at centurytel.net
Thu Nov 20 14:31:17 PST 2003

The Treniers were a well known lounge group that worked in Chicago for  many
years.  There were several brothers and   they featured swinging group
vocals augmented with some on stage houkum.
They became very popular in Vegas and worked there for years. One of the
brothers, Milt, left the group and went out on his own.  He had his own
club, Milt Treniers, in Chicago for many years. Milt is still active in some
outlying Hotels.
They once played on the bill in Vegas with Louis Armstrong.  Louis' bass man
got sick and so Jimmy played with both groups.  Louis, Trummy and the band
begged Jimmy to stay with them...Jimmy was a swinging bass player  but he
felt allegiance  to the Treniers and stayed with them. ( for years he
regretted not going with Armstrong.) He later worked with Bob Scobey and a
number of groups in Chicago, including mine.
The Treniers were a top La Vegas Lounge group duing the heyday.  Their music
was a swinging mix of jazz, pop & R &
B.

Jim Beebe