[Dixielandjazz] Web Sites!

JazzHags at aol.com JazzHags at aol.com
Wed Nov 19 12:04:33 PST 2003

Tom Wiggins wrote in regard to websites:

"  The unfortunate truth is that most of them are worthless since they do not
get any traffic and are almost never findable unless you know exactly how to
get there".

Tom while I agree with much of your post about promoting bands - I cannot buy
the above statement.

In the 6 yrs the "Riverside Dixieland Jazz Band" http://riversidejazz.com
site has been up - the site has received almost 21,000 hits and most of our gig
enquiries come from the site.

There are a few tricks to the trade in getting your site to the head of the
pack on search engines - if you check "dixieland jazz bands" on Google - you
will find our band listed twice in the top ten.

My intent is to promote the"Musicians-R-Us" site the same way and hopefully I
can get good web exposure for all that are listed in the directory.

Don't get me wrong I am in no way intimating that our band is getting the
same amount of work as your bands - but we aren't spending $20,000 a year to
promote it either.

In promoting a band I definitely believe that a site on the web should be a
part of your arsenal, it is not the "be all & end all", but it is important.

Doug Burnley
Cornet - Riverside Dixieland Jazz Band
Performers-R-Us (Home of the $79.00 web site)
http://performers-r-us