[Dixielandjazz] Re: Advertising Jazz Festivals - was US Jazz Magazines

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 19 10:14:50 PST 2003

> "Mike Durham" <mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com>
>
> Hi everybody - I plan to advertise our 2004 Jazz festival in the Miss. Rag
> in hopes of attracting more U.S. visitors (and their dollars!) to England.
> Can anyone advise me of 2 or 3 other US OKOM publications I should take
> space in? Contact details would help. Any contributions most gratefully
> received....

Hi Mike:

IMO, don't spend a lot of money advertising in US OKOM magazines for a Festival in the
UK.  Sure, put a blip there but don't expect much.

By the time you narrow it down to who, among that circulation, will travel to the UK for
a Festival, you end up with a very small list of prospects.

My advice? Think outside the box. Promote to folks who have the money, and are already
world travelers and think about their musical hot buttons. Think about mentioning bands
that will make sense to the prospects. "Tributes" to Sinatra, Holiday, Armstrong, Bix,
Swing, Condon, etc.

Or maybe a jazz cruise to the UK that includes your festival? (Although some cruises seem
to be having trouble filling up also)

Nothing wrong with "John Petters" in a tribute to Krupa and Goodman, etc. Perhaps going
after the casual American music fan, who travels, will return much more than the targeted
American OKOM fan who may or may not travel. I think the percentage return may be the
same, however the "casual" music fan base is infinitely larger.

Chers,
Steve Barbone