[Dixielandjazz] Trying Again - Web Sites

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Wed Nov 19 01:26:07 PST 2003

Hello Doug: and all:

There are hundreds if not thousands of such sites already up and running
allegedly to promote bands and musicians etc.

The unfortunate truth is that most of them are worthless since they do not
get any traffic and are almost never findable unless you know exactly how to get
there.

I have had my bands listed on many of them for the past three years and I
have yet to get One single Inquiry from any one of them much less a gig
situation.

A lot of well meaning folks are hosting web pages that nobody looks at except
the members of the band that are paying to have it up there.

Any band can do exactly the same thing for free, and get approximately the
same results.

The Internet folks is simply not what it is believed to be or even near what
it was promised to be.

Why do you think you keep seeing Television adds telling you to go to WWW. so
and so, and every radio station in the country is advertising websites as
well.

Unless you are willing to do the same thing you are basically wasting your
time and money.

If your web site is not in the top five to ten on every search engine out
there it means next to nothing.

95 to 98% of the hits I get on my business website are coming directly from
my own advertising and solicitation to talent buyers to go there to see my acts
that are available for them.

Even then the number one request is that we send them a promotional package
with CDs and videos.  You must also understand that most of the major jazz
festivals receive at least fifteen hundred promo packages every year from groups
wanting to get booked there for one performance.   I have over three thousand
such festivals in my data base.  I mail out at least three hundred promo
packages a year at a cost of approximately $25.00 each, which is expensive but a
nominal cost for the bookings  and the fees that I get for my show.  It is all
relevant.   You can't sell Rolls Royce's with a Volkswagen advertising budget or
approach, ya gotta spend money to make money and go where the money is.

Therefore your package better look professional and have some real credits in
it, and your CDs must be professionally manufactured and be commercially
competitive to even be considered.

The Entertainment business is a very expensive business to be in if you are
going to do it professionally and be successful.

Work you fanny off for about fifteen years and keep submitting all those
packages and sooner or later someone will actually listen to your stuff and read
the promo and maybe hire you and next thing you know you will be an over night
success.

Many of you folks hear constantly about marketing your band and your music
from me and Steve Barbone, and you know that we work more than likely more
festival dates a year than most bands.  Why because we work more hours every week
promoting our bands than we usually do performing once we get booked.  You guys
will also notice that we are not working the so called Dixieland Band Jazz
Festival circuit in the USA or even abroad.

I can't speak for Steve, but I can assure you that I get the International
tours that I get because I spend about $20,000.00 a year promoting my band which
is probably more than some OKOM bands make all year.  I spend at least
$2000.00 a year just to update my data base of talent buyers worldwide, and keep
them informed about their best chances to book my shows.

Well, a simple rule is to think about how much money you want to make every
year to operate your business successfully, then take about 20% of that money
and invest it into promoting and advertising your band to the people who
actually buy bands.

Keep at least that much money off the top of all your gigs and put it right
back into the next advertising and promotion campaign, expanding it every year
until it starts to pay off in higher returns and be consistent.  Once that
happens you might be able to back off slightly once you have gained a good
reputation and proven that you are actually worth the money you are asking for in
ticket sales.

Important thing to remember is that you are sending your promotion to the
same festivals that are hiring and promoting the biggest Jazz acts in the
business.  If you want to go there with them you have to act like you deserve to be
there, talk like you deserve to be there, walk like you deserve to be there,
look like you deserve to be there, and then if you get there you better deliver
one Hell of a Show.    If you expect to ever get asked to come back, or be
asked to go to any other major Jazz festival.

You are only as good as the last gig you played folks, now if you can leave
them wanting more your doing something right and have a future in the game, but
even then it ain't no cake walk.  Ya gotta work your arse off to stay where
you get if you are lucky enough to get there in the first place.

We cannot all be Elvis, or the Beatles, or ODJB, but if we are persistent and
have a good show and treat this business like a business it will indeed treat
you like one.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band