[Dixielandjazz] If You Ever Played a Pay Gig

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Tue Nov 18 17:03:08 PST 2003

In a message dated 11/18/03 9:31:28 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu writes:

 From the joke that is not always a joke:

> >Every black horn player who wants to sit in used to play with James Brown
> or Brother Ray.

Being the leader of a Black Band and having hired many former James Brown and
Brother Ray horn players, I can honestly attest to the above statement more
than likely being very close to FACT.

They both, as do I have a tremendous turnover in horn players, usually due to
bad habits and overbearing abuses of alcohol and drugs, not that Brother Ray
and James have not had their days in those trenches either.

I have actually hired and fired many of the same guys, and could build a
great one night band of Formerly withs from both of those bands.  Unfortunately it
would probably never play a second gig together, as these guys are genuine
Rolling Stones, or is it Stoned and still Rolling?  :)   I am not talking about
funny smelling cigarettes here either.

Both Band leaders have gone through some incredible musicians over the years.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins