[Dixielandjazz] Show Business Antics

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 18 10:22:16 PST 2003

Jon Petters said that ODJB hokum was similar to Barbone Street Show
business antics, or something like that. Here is a letter received from
the promoters of our concert last week in Schenectady N.Y., affirming
the power of "antics". Especially in this venue, a converted church in
which no alcohol was allowed, and no beads were thrown.

Steve:
Thanks so much for your performance and those of your terrific partners
in music. As was obvious, the crowd loved your work. From 2 years old to
80, you had them laughing, tapping their foot and an occasional boogaloo
motion (on the part of the two year old). By the way, thanks so much for
responding to Bill McCann's request for Sweet Georgia Brown for his two
year old. They play your CD to the point of transparency and that
particular number has served to help her Jazz obsessed father, introduce
his daughter to the splendors of the music.

I also much appreciated your introductions, your patter with the
audience and the way you avoided some of the most uncomfortable (and
often racist) cliches about the early forms of the music we both love so
much. Believe it or not, I still hear from people who would prefer to
completely ignore the contribution of African Americans to the invention
of this wonderful music ( but then when people get really loaded they
will say almost anything.)

Thanks for a terrific and exciting evening and please give Ace, Joe,
Glen, Paul, Sonny and their acoompanying spouses a big thanks being
there for all of us.

Butch