[Dixielandjazz] Re: Minstrel Shows

jazzfact jazzfact at ozemail.com.au
Tue Nov 18 06:28:00 PST 2003

Hi All,
I work with a friend known as Ray "Darkie" Pettigrove, The great Australian
clarinet player John Mc Carthy is also known as "Darkie", though his
trademark black hair and beard has long turned silver. We still have Coon
cheese. In Brisbane we have a football stadium stand named "The Nigger Brown
Pavilion" and yet Australia is typical of a modern well meaning and
politically correct society. Both "Nigger Boy" liquorice and the famous
shirt ads depicting an Aboriginal in a crisp white shirt and nothing else,
"Mine Tinket They Fit" have disappeared.

PS
The name Coon came from Edward William Coon who patented a process for the
accelerated ripening of natural, unprocessed cheese in 1926.

regards,
Richard Stevens
www.thejazzfactory.net