[Dixielandjazz] Re: White Othello

LeslieMRag at aol.com LeslieMRag at aol.com
Mon Nov 17 14:38:15 PST 2003

Hi, Listmates:

I caught a PBS broadcast of "Othello," my favorite play by Shakespeare, some
years ago wherein Anthony Hopkins played Othello without "blacking
up"--instead playing Othello as a great leader who was an outsider due to psychological
reasons rather than ethnicity. It was a fabulous portrayal and the final scene
was as powerful as any I've ever seen in any production of this great play. I
can still see that scene in my mind's eye--that's how memorable it was. As I
understand it, it was Hopkins' choice to play Othello as a white man, not the
director's.

Leslie Johnson
editor at mississippirag.com OR
lesliemrag at aol.com