[Dixielandjazz] ODJB

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 18:59:02 PST 2003

Arn, listen again to the CD(s). They are for the most part NOTE FOR NOTE
transcriptions (by Dan, David Sager and Tom Roberts) of the original ODJB
and other early 5-piece band records. And Dan says in his liner notes to the
original Loup Garou CD that exact reproduction is what he's aiming for, but
with modern hi-fidelity so that the music may be made more accessible to
ears for whom primitive recording techniques prove a barrier to the
originals. So how can this be an innovative exercise? And if it swings far
more than the originals (which is debatable) then surely Dan and the guys
have missed their own objective. But it would be nice to hear from Dan
himself, rather than all of us trying to second-guess matters....