[Dixielandjazz] Re: Double Bass

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 17:55:02 PST 2003

And the sousaphone was originally designed "bell up" (ie with a horizontal
bell) which was fine until the band tried playing in wet weather. The big
horn was promptly dubbed "Mr Souza's rain-catcher", and was then
reconfigured with the forward-pointing bell we know and love today.

Mike "pedantry - I can do that!" Durham