[Dixielandjazz] ODJB

Adaywayne at aol.com Adaywayne at aol.com
Mon Nov 17 11:33:47 PST 2003

I agree 100% Steve. Players such as Davern, Kellso, Sandke, Barrett, Varro
and dozens of others (including many on this forum) are strides ahead of their
counterparts in the ODJB, in terms of both technique and improvisational
skills. Perhaps Jery really meant to say (and if so, I would agree with him) that
the ODJB were not, themselves, simply copiers of their "black" colleagues but
inovaters in their own modest way. Don't you agree that they pulled together
various aspects of New Orleans music of the time to from something "new".....or
at least a "template" for OKOM bands to come, right up to this day?
Arn

In a message dated 11/16/03 9:04:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,