[Dixielandjazz] Sousaphone--backward bells

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 17 09:45:48 PST 2003

John and DJML--
    I don't know, but throughout human history the meagre impediment of not knowing something has not significantly reduced the desire to impart one's innate wisdom on a topic, or to argue with someone else about his ludicrously mistaken views on the subject.  Therefore, i leap into the breach:
    One reason the construction and use of backward-facing bells might have disappeared is that a) trombones in the front row with backward-facing bells would spray their sounds all over the other band-members behind them, a catastrophe devoutly to be decried and avoided; b) instruments with backward-facing bells in the rear of the band ("can you hear me in the rear" jokes go here) would send their sounds away from the rest of the band and the audiences, possibly creating difficulties in keeping step and the music together.  Or none of the above.
    Sousaphones also at one time had their bells pointing straight up (the 'rain-catcher' model), but this design was also discontinued, possibly coeval with certain species of birds having developed the ability to strafe.

    Dan