[Dixielandjazz] Re: Buddy Bolden

TBW504 at aol.com TBW504 at aol.com
Mon Nov 17 05:27:21 PST 2003

Brian...I think that if Jelly Roll Morton writes a song about Buddy Bolden
and names it " I thought I heard Buddy bolden say," this would indicate that
Buddy Bolden was quite well known.  Jim Beebe

The same song mentions Judge Fogarty. I expect he was well known too? The
first recording of the number was in 1939, by the way. I repeat Bolden was
scarcely known at all outside his social class in New Orleans. Thus when
investigators began belatedly to investigate the origins of jazz many in the city who
claimed to have known him weren't even sure of his name; others claimed he had
descended from a balloon in Lincoln Park whilst playing the cornet, thus
confusing him with an entirely different figure, Buddy Bartley or Bottley as some
"authorities" had it. It is impossible to claim that Bolden was "well-known"
until the publication of "Jazzmen" in 1939.
Brian Wood