[Dixielandjazz] ODJB

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Mon Nov 17 01:48:23 PST 2003

Well, if nothing else, they composed some tunes that are basic in the
repertoire even today:
Tiger Rag
Original Dixieland One Step
Fidgety Feet
At the Jazz Band Ball
Sensation
Ostrich Walk

And at least helped popularize others that are still in the repertoire:
Indiana
Margie
Royal Garden blues
Some of these days.
Jazz me blues

They generated a lot of interest by the public and musicians; it was
certainly exciting stuff by any reasonable standard, they did it in public,
and they made a lot of records here and in the UK, many of which sold very
well.

I too find it hard to listen to them, but that's my personal taste and it comes
l-o-n-g after their heyday, when I've had a chance to listen to several
generations of musicians who further developed the art form in ways that
are more congenial to the ear.

It's presumptuous to apply our personal and modern standards/tastes so as
to read them out of OKOM's Hall of Fame. They were there at the start, and
while their specific style didn't remain popular, and apparently had little
lasting effect, what they did to get the ball rolling has earned them a
*right* to a place in our Pantheon.

As for Dan Levinson's Roof Garden Jass Band, why decry their efforts?
They're studying the style under a microscope and presenting their findings
in the form of a re-creation like archaeologists. Why? At a minimum, for
the same reason paleontologists put dinosaur bones together and use them to
make pictures of the beasts, to visualize the original for further study:
because the artifacts are there. And if the result entertains some people,
and generates support for further study, fine and dandy.

What's the problem with that?

--Sheik