[Dixielandjazz] Cornet Education for Bill Biffle

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sat Nov 15 07:26:12 PST 2003

The input has  been very good to date, but Ihave been very surprized that
the name of Bunny Berrigan has not yet appeared. Bunny was a fiery, tasty,
and inspiring player, dead all too young for the reason of alcohol --
something that took all too many inthe  early years of jazz thanks to the
misguided Volstead Act banning booze.
As time on your list will grow longer with examples of other great
trumpet/cornet examples. All the more fuin ahead as you discover the misic
behind the names.
I will make one point. Knowing the melody is key to good ensembles playing.
It should be there when you play lead. Perhaps the best e cample of a
good -- even great -- ensemble lead was Red Nichols. You may argue whether
he was among the great jazz soloists, but few wll aruge that his ensembles
swung hard, and his lead was the main thread in a jazz tapestry of ensemble
performance.
   Good advice from Tommy Saunders. He was mentored by Wild Bill, a driving
lead ensemble player in his own right.
   Finally, as long as names are being presented for your education, here
are a few lesser known, but worthy of knowing you will encounter along the
way:
   Manny Klein, Charlie Teagarden, Chuck Mackay, Bobby Higgins, Marty
Marsala, Dick Cathcart.
More will be discovered as you dig thorugh the great recorded legacy we are
blessed to have. Edcuation of this sort never ends, and that's a beauty of
it.
   Keep plugging, and as my teacher/mentor Ernest Loring (Red) Nichols
always added every time we were together...."and don't forget the long
tones."
   Don Ingle