[Dixielandjazz] Frank Asunto

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Sat Nov 15 12:55:14 PST 2003

Frank Asunto's name came up on several people's lists of "which
trumpeter to listen to".  He was one of my first thoughts when I saw the
thread begin, but I held back from mentioning him worrying that I would
be blasted for "bypassing" all the greats.

Just as I always subscribe to the Original Dukes for a lesson on
Dixieland, I suggest Frank for a reachable example of what a Dixieland
trumpeter should be.  That's not a putdown on the Dukes, or on Frank,
rather a compliment.  They kept it easy & clean, and managed to insert
the excitement that embodies Dixieland, all in one go.

Freddie has always been one of my favourite bone men.

Jim