[Dixielandjazz] Cornet Education for Bill Biffle

Jim Beebe jbeebe at centurytel.net
Fri Nov 14 21:25:04 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Saunders" <tcornet at webtv.net>

> Bill,
> This is the first time I've sent a message via the DJML, as all of the
> regulars seem to have everything covered.
>
> Many many years ago I was playing a concert in Chicago with Wild Bill
> and Bobby Hackett and we had time to hang out andtalk about our trade.
> They both reminded me that the cornet/trumpet players job is t play the
> melody. Also, they both stressed that the lead player has to leave
> something for the other horns to play. In other words, stretch out a
> little, but leave holes . Don't forget that Bobby was a guitar player (w
> Glenn Miller), so
> was very familiar with chords.
>
> I'm glad that you have ordered some jazz CDs of Bobby. He was one of my
> all time favorite players. Please don't forget Warren Vache. I've
> watched him surpass
> many other players for years. For my money he's the best there is and
> when he plays I listen.
>
> You'll find that you like different players for different reasons. If
> you are like me, you'll listen to them all andkeep coming back to your
> favorites. I chose Wil Bill
> Davison for his "fire". Pease have fun!
>
> Tom Saunders (the old one)

Bill, you might want to listen to Tom Saunders as well.  Tom is and has been
one of the best hot cornetists in the  traditional jazz arena for some
years.  He has the same fire that Will Bill and other greats have and is on
many fine recordings. He is active on various Jazz Fests and you will
probably meet up with him.

Jim Beebe