[Dixielandjazz] A trumpet player's education

Bill Biffle bbiffle at swcp.com
Thu Nov 13 20:13:03 PST 2003

I'm a "comeback" player, Jim.  I played through college, but not for long
after.  I laid off for about 35 years and have been playing again for about
five, as I said in the earlier post.  And, yes,  I'm studying with a fine
jazz player - who I thought would teach me licks but is mostly working on my
tone!  :-)} - and I do practice every day.  I admit that for the first three
or four years I did more "playing' than practicing.  But I'm practicing now.

I front a pretty active DL band (with much better players than I), play in a
"educational" big band once a week, take improv classes at the New Mexico
Jazz Workshop (from a wonderful jazz musician who's played with most of the
"big names", and I'm going to the New Mexico Concert Band rehearsal next
Monday night to see if I can make that group.

And Louis was on the list.  The fourth name, although he should have been
first.  I've listened to him more than to any other player.  For obvious
reasons.

Bill Biffle