[Dixielandjazz] Simultaneous Bookings

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu Nov 13 20:04:52 PST 2003

In a message dated 11/13/03 3:58:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> Anyone out there still think this kind of activity is a "No No"? If so
> why? And what should I do?

Hi Steve:

While you and I almost always agree on the professional matters of running
bands and booking bands, I do think this is not a good practice for the
following reasons;

#1.  If any thing goes wrong at any one of the gigs, like small turnout, bad
P.A. system, bad or inadequate music from the alternate group, no shows, or
less than the agreedupon number of players for whatever reason, by no control
whatsoever of you, etc. Barbone Street Jazz Band will indeed catch all the flack
and negative feedback.

#2.   I fully understand that you were Solicited to supply the music, however
I believe it would be in your best interest to book established bands with
decent reputations and quality members under their own names or at least under
another name which you own or control so as not to confuse the general public.

#3 Someday one of them just might come up to you and embarrass you and your
band in front of important people and or clients by saying something like "I
saw your guys at the so and so restaurant, and we did not like your sound" or
"You sound a lot different tonight than you did the last time we came to see
you."  we liked you better last year, or "are there More than one Barbone Street
Jazz Band? "you guys don't look like the real one."

#4  Sooner or later one of  the other sidemen or bandleaders is going to
start booking himself gigs under your name and possibly at less than your market
price which will tend to diffuse all the hard work that you have done to build
up your reputation as a bandleader and the #1 Band in your marketplace.

While there is really nothing illegal about doing it, it is just in my
opinion less than desirable for a band and bandleader of your caliber and
reputation.

I realize that, that is often a booking technique used by contractors and has
been done for so long that it has become recognized as standard procedure,
but I favor booking several units under different names to protect your hard
earned reputations.  Too often bands have personnel problems and break up going
their separate ways and starting all over again trying to rebuild a reputation
for a new act of formerly withs.

People do come to recognize and want to see the same players in a band under
that name as it gives them (The public and fans a reason to follow the band
around from gig to gig and become loyal supporters of your music where ever you
perform).  The camaraderie between a band and their fans is not to be taken
lightly.

This is a viscous circle of revolving players and usually not very successful
for all of the evolving units, at least in my experience.  I would much
rather tell a potential client that I am sorry but I have already made a commitment
for that date, but I can arrange for another very good act for you and book
your date for the next year.  This will also help to raise your price for the
following year as it will make your show more valuable while boosting your
reputation as a hot act that you have to book early to get a good date.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins