[Dixielandjazz] A trumpet player's education

Bill Biffle bbiffle at swcp.com
Thu Nov 13 17:44:48 PST 2003

I've been playing the horn again for about five years and have spent a fair amount of time listening to CDs in my quest for knowledge about players, sound, and style.  I've not systematized the thing, but have spent a fair amount of time with (in no particular order) Doc Cheatham, Roy Eldridge, Ruby Braff, Louis (of course), Bill Coleman, Chet Baker, Don Fagerquist, Red Nichols, Frankie Newton, Clifford Brown,  and Freddie Hubbard (there are others, but these come to mind).

Who else should I be listening to?  Billy Butterfield, Art Farmer, Bix (I've got some Bix), ???

Thanks to all for the help.

Bill Biffle, Leader & Trumpet
The Duke City Jazz Band
http://www.billbiffle.com/DCJB.htm