[Dixielandjazz] Thread: Doctor Bands and medical specialities

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Wed Nov 12 21:19:22 PST 2003

Thanks, Steve.  That was the standard introductory joke for the Hot Cotton
Jazz Band from Memphis.  George Ryan, cornetist and leader, was head of the
Obstetrics and Gynecology Dept and U. of Tenn. School of Medicine.  Others
were non-medical.
One of the band members would say that Ryan was a professional gynecologist
and an amateur musician and that, with the other members of the band, it was
vice-versa.

And for the other comments on this thread--"Band-Aids" but the band didn't
last long because they " wouldn't stick!"---Indeed.

Thanks for the chuckles!

Norman Vickers
Pensacola