[Dixielandjazz] The Nero Program

Robert Newman bobngaye at surewest.net
Tue Nov 11 14:09:17 PST 2003

> I am now interested in a piece of 'burning' software called Nero which I
> understand can clean up transfers from vinal as well as all other
'burning'
> functions.
>
> Has any one used Nero? Can it be recommended? Any feed back on it would
help.
I have Nero 5.5.10.15 -- it came with my Yamaha burner. It is a good and
fast program for compiling and direct copying. It makes editing and
splitting very simple. It provides two methods of "cleaning up" or
"modifying" the input from an analog source -- the EASY way and the HARD
way. (These two titles are mine, not Nero's.)

With the "EASY" way you just select what you want to do from a menu. The
"EASY way" menu provides these options: Normalizing / Declicking / Hiss
Reduction / Fade In / Fade Out / Stereo Widening / Karaoke / Echo/
Equalizer. You just click on what you want and then sample the results.

Sounds simple, right? What I want mostly is Declicking and Hiss Reduction.
The program gives you different levels of these effects depending on how
much of the effects you want.

It does it all right, but at least on my machine I get unacceptable
distortion and loss of fidelity with even the slightest introduction of
those filters. So for me those options are no good.

The Equalizer works fine.

With the "HARD" way, the program provides the NERO WAVE EDITOR which is a
professional approach to modifying the material. With this technique you
analyze the wave form and determine precisely what should be done and how it
should be done. The program provides all the tools -- the filters -- and you
become a sound technician. You inject the appropriate filter at the
appropriate level and time and place and sample it. Cut and try, cut and
try. I don't have the time or the inclination to become a sound engineer.
I'm satisfied with the occasional little clicks that sneak in off the vinyl
surfaces. I certainly don't want to sacrifice fidelity for declicking.
A friend of mine, Don, has a Microsoft wave editing program that he says is
terrific. It's a point and shoot thing like the Nero easy one but I've heard
the result of Don's and it is very, very good. No distortion, no loss of
fidelity. I would download that one in a flash except for one thing -- it's
only available for Windows 2000 and beyond.. I have Windows 98 and it won't
work.

Bob Newman