[Dixielandjazz] Help mes amis

AAngusallan at aol.com AAngusallan at aol.com
Fri Nov 7 09:38:14 PST 2003

Thanks also to Sheik.  Very kind of you guys to help.  Hey - no anti-women
joke intended!  The words came to me from (I think) a Louis Jordan number.  In
any case, my wife could make mincemeat of me any day.  Plenty of gigs down this
way on the edge of the Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain.  Mostly
weddings and suchlike, but people seem really keen on Dixieland jazz.  Le Rural
Jazz Band is a strictly semi-pro outfit, but the trombonist is a professor of
music who runs the music college in the nearby town of Saint Gaudens.  He
plays a stack of instruments, and I would never be surprised if he blew up the
exhaust pipe of his automobile and beautiful sounds came out through the carb.
The rest are an assortment - banjo is a teacher with underprivileged kids,
soprano sax is a judge.  Bass player is a millionaire quarry owner, and the
drummer (usually washboard, because it's easier to set up and pack up) is in
insurance.  Me?  Ex comic strip writer.  Salutations to one and all - it's a real
pleasure to be part of this list.  Angus (or Baldy, or Cue-Ball, or whatever
else you like).