[Dixielandjazz] spam

Rev M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 10 11:27:09 PST 2003

>>>I have noticed recently that Earthlink in particular is very heavy
handed in refusing what it thinks is spam or junk e-mail.<<<

Indeed.  It was in the news a while back that the bulk of the recent spam deluge in the world was from Earthlink-based accounts, which caused Earthlink to spend zillions of bucks prosecuting, and they won, but, hey, the offenders just find other frameworks to work out of.

Earthlink's SpamBlocker is pretty effective, but its settings are purely the choice of the individual.  Medium, the normal setting, only removes "known" spam, meaning anything even remotely (deliberately) misspelled will get through.  Which is why many choose the High setting, but with the risk of losing legit email, which I do NOT choose to do.

Earthlink is definitely pretty anal about spam these days, but they have my applause for such a serious response to such a serious problem.

How do I know so much about Earthlink?  It's my current owner.  (How many out there remember the good ol' San Jose Netcom.com days?......),

--
Etc,

Rev M J "Mike" Logsdon, Deacon
http://www.naorc.org