[Dixielandjazz] now Barbershop Quartets (long)

Bill Biffle bbiffle at swcp.com
Thu Nov 6 16:06:16 PST 2003

Well, Tom, the Barbershop Harmony Society has over 33,000 members.
Barbershop is sung in an "organized' fashion in eleven countries from South
Africa, through Europe, to Australia and New Zealand.   There's even
barbershop being sung in China and Japan!  By Chinese and Japanese men (The
Tokyo Barberboys are a big hit!)

The Harmonet, barbershop's equivalent to the DJML, has almost 3,000 members
(how many on DJML?),  The men's organization has over 830 chapters all
across North America with more the 1,500 registered quartets - plus
thousands of others that are not "official".  The Society holds more than 45
competitions each year in which more than 13,500 men participate, judged by
men from a pool of almost 150 certified contest judges.  Countless men and
women staff the faculty of more than 25 separate weekend schools each year -
plus a week-long school held each Summer that has more than 65 faculty
members and over 650 students.

There is a headquarters in Kenosha, WI, http://www.spebsqsa.org with  almost
50 full-time staff members.

Sweet Adelines, International is a world-wide organization of more than
25,000 women with much the same participation rates.

It may be a well-kept secret, but it's tough keepin' the lid on it, I can
tell you!

Bill Biffle