[Dixielandjazz] Saxophonist/Big Band Leader Frankie James died last nigh...

Artwoo at aol.com Artwoo at aol.com
Wed Nov 5 18:31:54 PST 2003

Oh My God, I knew Frank very well, having played with him and his dad Angelo
for over 16yrs, from 1964 to 1980 when Frank lived in San Leandro and Union
City, Ca. I played trpt and trombone in his father's combo alongside Frank. Many
of the "licks" I use today are ones I learned from Frank and Buzzy.

Some of the most memorable jobs I played were with Frank and his dad.

Frank was exceptionally talented and understood the music business and could
have easily been a player like Sam Butera if he chose that instead of the
trucking business.

In fact Frankie was one of the first pro Saxophone players to work in the
early days of the Carol Doda north beach scene. He could play a very dirty and
hot sax as well as a heartfelt ballad and could comp like no one else.

He was good at fronting a big band and knew how to read and please a crowd.

Frank's passing is a loss to the music community. I send my deepest
condolences to his wife, Penny and his children Gary and Lisa, and to all the musicians
who worked with him over the years.

Sincerely,
Art Wood