[Dixielandjazz] Horse (was Pineapple chord)

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Wed Nov 5 18:06:39 PST 2003

I too have never heard of the expression which I understand to mean, for
example in the key of F major, the chord of Db7 or its equivalent in other
keys.

However I have heard of a minor and diminished "horse" - indeed I have
played in bands where the leader yells "Minor Horse !" and all the band
members know what he means. Again in F, here's how a minor Horse goes (each
chord has a value of two beats) : F/F7 Bb/Bbm F etc. For a diminished horse
change the Bbm to Fdim.

I kid you not.

John Farrell