[Dixielandjazz] Another view of "Tribute" Bands/ Ory Tribute CD

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Wed Nov 5 12:47:20 PST 2003

David Littlefield:
"Since Eddie Condon's death, folks have been conditioned to think that bad
music is Dixieland Jazz and they don't like it."

Dave Hanson:
"What did Condon do to condition the listening public to believe that bad
music is Dixieland Jazz? Please help me understand that statement !!!!"

If I might presume to answer for The Sheik... (hmm, he hasn't used that
moniker in awhile, has he?)

I think David is suggesting that in the time since Condon's beacon was
extinguished, ever greater numbers of OKOM bands have veered onto the rocks
and been lost. While there are still some fine bands, there is no great
light guiding ships around the reef. And as we are so often reminded, some
profit from the poor taste of the public. (or words to that effect ;)

Paul Edgerton,
who knows of no finer jazz than Condon's.