[Dixielandjazz] St James Infirmary

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 4 11:32:44 PST 2003

Hi Listmates. Here's what Eric Townley ("Tell Your Story") has to say about
this tune:

St James' Hospital (Infirmary) was founded in London about the time of the
Norman Conquest (AD 1066) for 'maidens that are leprous'......this title is
an offshoot of a long cycle of English folksongs, the beginnings of which
are obscure. The earliest known versions are 'The Unfortunate Rake' and 'The
Young Trooper Cut Down In His Prime', dating from the late 18th century, the
former being printed under that title in London in 1808 and depicting a
soldier dying of venereal disease outside St James' Hospital. These
folksongs crossed the Atlantic with the English colonists, becoming part of
an American song cycle with the Western songs 'The Dying Cowboy' and 'The
Streets Of Laredo' and the blues songs 'The Dying Gambler's Blues' and 'St
James Infirmary' being the best known now.

Sadly, Townley has nothing to say about the melody. Anyway, donning my
anorak, I have checked on jazz recordings of this tune. The earliest is
Louis in 1928, then George E. Lee's Orchestra in 1929. Both use the same
three choruses, with identical words (I went down/Let her go/When I die).
Then in 1930 thre is an explosion of no less than 14 recordings by both
white and black bands and singers, from Ellington to Chick Bullock -
suggesting sheet music publication? Another 4 follow in 1931, then the tune
'disappears' until 1940 when bands like Shaw and Calloway revived it. The
most intriguing is perhaps by blues singer Mattie Hite in 1930, which is
entitled St Joe's Infirmary (Those Gambler's Blues), but which is lyrically
and melodically the same tune - providing a link beween the 'modern' tune
and its predecessors.

Cheers!

Mike D