[Dixielandjazz] Another view of "Tribute" Bands/ Ory Tribute CD

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 4 00:24:30 PST 2003

Steve said
> What's killing jazz is bad jazz bands. My wife just returned from a
> business trip to a major city in New York State. (Not NYC) First thing
> she said tonight 5 minutes ago was: "I heard the worst Dixieland Band
> ever last night at the" --------------. (A major convention / hotel /
> show) "And you know if I recognize it as bad, then it really was bad."
> That's what's killing jazz, especially OKOM. Since Eddie Condon's death,
> folks have been conditioned to think that bad music is Dixieland Jazz
> and they don't like it. Can you blame them?

Most of my career has been in tribute bands. I've done Bechet, Fats,
Goodman, Bix, Oliver, Morton, Bing, and just recorded an Ory tribute, which
I'm rather pleaed with. I used Cuff Billett on trumpet, Mike Pointon,
trombone, young James Evans on clarinert & tenor sax, Martin Litton, piano,
Tim Phillips, guitar (yes guitar NOT the almost obligatory banjo), Keith
Donald, bass. For the curious there is a mono compressed mp3 on my home
page. www.traditional-jazz.com
Lets face it we are in rep these days. None of my bands are clones, but we
always attempt to capure the feel of the music, but put our own stamp on
it.And we don't use obnoxious rock beats or other modern gadgetry.
The main criteria is high quality jazz from top class musos.

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com