[Dixielandjazz]Pujé schmudgie

Ed Danielson mcvouty78 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 3 16:09:52 PST 2003

Paul Edgerton wrote:

"A Pujé is played by none other than of Jon-Erik Kelso, for starters, and I
believe Bryan Shaw has used one from time to time as well. They are hand
made by Bobby DeNicola in South Carolina."

At last summer's Evergreen Jazz Festival, I asked Jon-Erik what a Pujé was,
so I could tell the radio audience.  He told me that the word (which isn't
French at all) is pronounced "pudgie."  The trumpet was named for its shape.
  It has a very nice sound.  John Bartman of Denver's Queen City Jazz Band
is also playing a Pujé.

-- Ed Danielson