[Dixielandjazz] Posting top or bottom?

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 3 17:48:24 PST 2003

I agree with Bill Biffle. I too bet we can't agree which way is best.
Me, I prefer the original note on top and the response on the bottom.
Why? Mainly because when it is done the other way around many of us seem
to lose the meaning of the thread, and before we know it, we talking
apples and oranges.

With them in date/time sequence, it seems, for me at least, a lot easier
to accurately figure out what we are talking about. Last thought first,
if it is not an accurate representation of what the original though was,
just confuses us because many of us skip re-reading the original post
and are thus led astray.

Regarding whether of not to read a post. If you skip the thread post the
first time, and then join in on an answer in the middle of the thread,
or somebody has snipped the original, you almost invariably end up with
a somewhat incoherent answer, because you don't fully see the question.

My solution? Get the "Digest" form. Read the posts first making a mental
note whether to answer of not. Then go back to those in which you are
interested. Takes only 5 minutes to read and or scan 20 posts in digest
format and you get a much better idea of what the thread is about and
the opinions concerning it because there are usually several posts in
that same digest for reference.

Cheers,
Steve