[Dixielandjazz] Re: Jazz Festivals & Musical Tastes - Audiences

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 3 15:27:57 PST 2003

> Mike Durham wrote:

> Hey Nancy, I love the blues too! It's the one kind of music I would consider
> 'diluting' my festival with. But today's blues bands all seem to play at
> crazy amplified volume levels, and I find they tend to alienate the jazz
> fans (who are, after all, my main audience). So I won't risk upsetting my
> regulars for the possibility of attracting a few converts via the blues.

Illustrating a difference between British and American Blues Bands. Not all American
Blues bands play at excruciating volumes. Nor apparently does Brit Van Morrison, as
evidenced by what he played for the recent US TV special on "The Blues" shown on PBS.
There was some neat stuff. However there was also some loud absolute junk masquerading
as blues by some young blues/rockers in both the UK and USA. But both Blues Festivals at
which Barbone Street performed were mostly peopled by "real" blues bands, not the
current crop of displaced rockers.

> And
> I don't see many jazz bands being invited to play at blues festivals! The
> same goes for adding more 'modern' forms of jazz to broaden the audience -
> we tried this and it didn't seem to work.

Come to Philadelphia PA USA during some local Blues Festivals and hear Barbone Street at
Blues Festivals. We played 2 of them locally (doing 160 gigs a year locally, we don't
travel) in 2003 and were very well received. The same goes for modern jazz. Why not try
again with some modern jazz? Barbone Street played OKOM at 3 major modern jazz festivals
locally in 2003. Berks, Rehoboth and Clifford Brown. They drew a combined total of about
90,000 people. We drew about  6500 at our 3 sold out indoor venues and one outdoor
venue. We were also the top draw at the West Chester University Jazz Festival, a week
long "Modern Jazz Festival" It seems to us that OKOM draws more audience at "Modern
Jazz" Festivals than most OKOM bands do at OKOM festivals. The larger, younger, audience
is at "Modern Jazz" festivals. They are our target.

In NYC, there was a Bix Tribute at JVC (Modern Jazz Festival) which accomplished similar
results. Who are the "modern fans" listening to in Great Britain? Hire them and their
fans should come. Maybe start with that Chet Baker song group with whom Jazz Jerry
promoted so successfully a few days ago?

> So, this year we'll try offering
> free admission to our Sunday afternoon sessions to anyone under 25, plus a
> teaser ad campaign to local colleges/universities telling them this is an
> opportunity to hear "the music the media are conspiring to keep hidden from
> you!"

Love it, but can't steal it because we have been in the News media frequently in our
territory during 2003. Several Newspaper articles, a 90 minute concert broadcast on
Radio, Local Network TV spots on programs and the News. Plus a 15 minute spot and a 90
minute concert were shown on local cable TV. Besides, we do a lot of night club and jazz
club dates with young audiences. I'd sure hate to piss the Media off now.

Interesting how different the Festivals are in the USA and Europe. Seems as if there is
much more interest in OKOM with European audiences. Like Ascona, etc. In the USA, most
OKOM Festivals are struggling to survive.

Cheers,
Steve