[Dixielandjazz] Another view of "Tribute" Bands

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 3 13:16:31 PST 2003

Hi Steve and everyone,

Gee, James gets criticized for everything he does and doesn't do.  I haven't
heard this disk, but I've heard some of his other recordings (like
Conversin' with the Elders) that have been construed as "rehashing."  Part
of this lack of a "jazz vision" which this critic bites him for is, I think,
a result of his musical upbringing.  As a kid he was surrounded by
entrenched Detroit hard-boppers (who feel the same way about hard bop that
Marsalis feels about Ellington and blues i.e. it's the only "real" jazz).
He was picked up by Wynton when he was in his teens, fired by Wynton, while
still in his teens, then lambasted by Wynton for working with Lester Bowie.
I've seen him (and I'm sure I've said this before), sitting in with the
SunRa Arkestra, playing way out free jazz, and I've heard him in watered
down mainstream settings, in addition to some wonderful blowing sessions at
hole in the wall clubs.  I believe that his vision is that of remaing mostly
true to the repetoire (which in his thinking includes Lester Bowie as well
as Lester Young), and letting all these different approaches merge together
and come out in his own playing.

When you hear him live in a relaxed setting, just blowing, I can't see how
anyone could possibly accuse him of not having his own voice.  Hell, he can
play Lester Leaps In, and you know it's him in one bar.  Does Eric Alexander
(who to me, sounds like everyone that you've ever heard and does not have a
distinctive sound) get criticized like this?  Probably not, but that's
probably because some people, like this critic, expect something earth
shattering to come from James because they sense that if anyone is going to
do something "new," and have it viewed as "legitimate" jazz (rather than
some kind of fusion), it will be him.  I think that's silly.  James has his
own way of playing and if this guy can't hear it, then maybe he should learn
to play an instrument and try and contribute something.  Perhaps Columbia is
too commercial a label, as the critic suggests, but maybe the truth is that
James is not looking to be the great "innovator" that this guy wants him to
be.  I find it ironic that, after accusing him of  copying the past, he
makes the suggestion that James should go listen to someone else.

Well, enough ranting from me (for now),

Rob McCallum

Snips from the article: