[Dixielandjazz] Re: Diluting "Jazz" Festivals?

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 2 23:57:32 PST 2003

Hey Nancy, I love the blues too! It's the one kind of music I would consider
'diluting' my festival with. But today's blues bands all seem to play at
crazy amplified volume levels, and I find they tend to alienate the jazz
fans (who are, after all, my main audience). So I won't risk upsetting my
regulars for the possibility of attracting a few converts via the blues. And
I don't see many jazz bands being invited to play at blues festivals! The
same goes for adding more 'modern' forms of jazz to broaden the audience -
we tried this and it didn't seem to work. So, this year we'll try offering
free admission to our Sunday afternoon sessions to anyone under 25, plus a
teaser ad campaign to local colleges/universities telling them this is an
opportunity to hear "the music the media are conspiring to keep hidden from
you!"

Mike.