[Dixielandjazz] Regina Carter - Best Jazz Violinist today

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sun Nov 2 17:26:33 PST 2003

In a message dated 11/2/03 8:24:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> I think I posted an article about this genius six months ago or so. She
> is an incredible jazz violinist and an incredible lady. Great story.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve barbone
>
> November 2, 2003 - New York Times
>
> Regina Carter Keeps in Touch With a 260-Year-Old Friend

Thanks Steve:

Absolutely, a great story, and Regina's comments at the end are right on the

As for her selling 50,000 copies, well she can make it 50,001 tomorrow,
because I  am going out and buy one, I have not heard it yet, but it sounds like
MKOM.

For those of you on the list who like more traditional sounding Jazz
violinist might I suggest checking out Claude "Fiddler"Williams on Arhoolie Records,
and Why is he not on any OKOM Festivals lineups?   He is a great talent of
your era folks, must be getting close to 99 now if indeed he is still with us.
At 85 in 1989 when he recorded these two CDs live in New York he was
marvelous.

Jack Kleinsinger, Producer of Highlights in Jazz concert series in New York
wrote in the liner notes:  "As for Claude's vocals on You're my Desire, no
85-year old man has any right to sound so romantic".

I sincerely hope he is still with us and playing, he is one of my favorite
Jazz violinist of all time.   If he is and any one sees him on a concert or
event, don't miss him.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

Claude, born in Muskogee, Oklahoma said "When I started playing, they wern't
even calling it jazz!"