[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Jazz Club Broadcasts

David Livingston snargi01 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 2 09:10:41 PST 2003

Paul if you are talking about Ray Sherman's station on
Live365.com there has been some confusion about there
streaming audio feeds. Live365.com does not use Real
Audio .rma or .ram Technology. It uses a mp3 streaming
technology that is different than RA  called
'ShoutCast.' http://www.shoutcast.com/ I know this
because I have had my Dixieland Gumbo station on
Live365.com for more than 2 years.

When a person signs up for Live365.com they go through
a configuration setup that gives them a choice of
using the Live365 default player, which is a good
choice because the play screen shows what band is
playing or a person can choose a third-party mp3
player. Real audio is a selection but I would
recommend WinAmp. http://classic.winamp.com/ (You need
to already have a third party player installed for
this option.) BTW, Real Audio B.S. and SpyWare is why
I switched to WinAmp in the first place. (One note:
WinAmp does not play .rma or .ram streams so if you go
to a lot of stations that use those formats you'll
need to keep RA installed on your computer.)

As for connection problems, anyone with a dial-up
modem is going to have problems with stations running
at a 56k audio stream. That is broadband speed. Even
though the station speed says 56k and most modems are
56k modems, it is almost impossible for a dial-up
modem to get maximum output from a phone line. Which
will cause breaks in the stream and buffer overflows.
That is also why I changed my station to a 24k audio
stream.

Cheers,

Dave Livingston
Dixieland Gumbo -- Internet Radio
Today's hot bands playing OKOM!
http://www.dixielandgumbo.com/
If you are interested in getting airplay for your
traditional Jazz recordings, contact me at
davel at dixielandgumbo.com