[Dixielandjazz] cornets?

willc willc at highstream.net
Sat Nov 1 15:37:50 PST 2003

Dave Gravatt wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Our band has recently gone through a personnel change -  we have a new
> cornet player. However, our new cornet player plays trumpet. Fortunately,
> he's willing to give a cornet a try but is looking for advice on which
> cornet to shop for. If anyone has any ideas, advice, suggestions, etc. on
> how to shop for a good cornet, please reply. I'm interested in recommended
> brands, models, etc. as well as criteria (if any). I don't mean to stir up
> the ole "cornet vs trumpet" debate. Just looking for some help getting our
> new guy feeling comfortable with our heavily "New Orleans" style influenced
> group. Thanks in advance.
>
> Dave

Dave -

You'll get about as many recommendations as there are (or have been)
brands.

FWIW, I played a vintage (circa 1930) Martin shepherd's crook which
looks right
in a Dixie band and was okay; then a King silver bell (vintage late
'30s) that
I really hated; and for fifteen years or so have been playing an Olds
Ambassador
student model built in Fullerton (vice Los Angeles) which has been the
best playing
horn I've ever owned. I've had it rebuilt once and plan to do so again
soon. I found
another of these horns at a swap meet (Los Angeles built) but it was
bored to accept
only Olds mouthpieces, and I play Bachs, so I sold it. I swapped a Bach
Strad flugel
to the late Tommy Loy for his Bach Strad cornet, but I didn't like that
horn at all
and dumped it. On the other hand, Hal Donovan, who played a Getzen for
years, now
plays a Bach and likes it.

If you can get a clean Olds Ambassador or a Conn Victor (not much chance
of this!)
on e-Bay, your guy will likely be pleased.
Kindly,

Will Connelly
River Liffey Saloon Jazz Band
Fort Lauderdale, Florida