[Dixielandjazz] Woody Herman 1970's Herd

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 1 11:07:05 PST 2003

Hi Steve and everyone,

I would like to point out a possible exception to this, and that's Woody's
band in the 1970s.  Check out his Giant Steps album, which I think is a
fantastic album that includes arrangements of things like Freedom Jazz Dance
and La Fiesta.  Woody plays soprano sax throughout and is featured on the
funk inspired version of Freedom Jazz Dance, playing an interesting counter
melody and a very percussive solo that sounds very hip (not to mention the
power players, most of them not well known on their own - unlike his sidemen
from mid-century).  Perhaps Woody was more comfortable improvising against
the funk rhythms than straight ahead jazz time.  Whatever the reason, this
album is definitely worth a listen for a more modern conception of a big
band sound, with excellent arrangements.

All the best,
Rob McCallum