[Dixielandjazz] OKOM Styles

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Sat Nov 1 08:28:57 PST 2003

At 06:36 PM 10/31/2003 -0500, Adaywayne at aol.com wrote:
>LOL.Let me first ask what OKOM stands for (old kinds of music?)

Early in the existance of DJML, some folks objected wildly (for emotional
reasons that have nothing to do with the music itself) to the term
"dixieland". So they came up with the term:

"Our Kind Of Music", OKOM.

Personally, I think that making an issue of the term dixieland is ridiculous,
BUT early on OKOM turned out to have a modicum of practical sense as a
shorthand term, because most of us do have strong interests in at least
some of the related musics--20s hot dance and pop/show tunes, 30s swing,
etc.--and wanted to be free to discuss it. So for purposes of DJML
discussions, OKOM can include the directly related musics outside the
immediate realm of dixieland.

-Sheik