FW: [Dixielandjazz] Modern art and jazz

Charlie Hooks charliehooks at earthlink.net
Sat May 31 12:50:11 PDT 2003

----------
From: Charlie Hooks <charliehooks at earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 11:47:44 -0500
To: <futurecon at earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Modern art and jazz

on 5/30/03 1:08 PM, Burt Wilson at futurecon at earthlink.net wrote:

> I'll take Ginsberg, too, as I loved "Howl." Charlie, some poets you might
> like are Edgar Guest, Robert Service or Ogdan Nash who, I might be mistaken,
> is the author of the musicians creed:
> "Candy is dandy
> but liquor is quicker."
>
> Burt

That you can lump Ogden (not "Ogdan") Nash, a highly clever sophisticated
fellow, with "people's poets" like Edgar Guest suggests to me how you can
approve of Ginsberg.  You're right about my liking Nash (also, several other
New Yorker poets of the thirties); but like much more Dryden, Pope, Sam
Johnson, Wordsworth, Tennyson, Yeats, Eliot, Auden, Jarrell, James Dickey,
Marianne Moore...hey, the list is endless; and I haven't mentioned Milton,
Shakespeare, Spenser.  Read these men, familiarize yourself with real
poetry, and then see whether "Howl" is more than "the barbaric yelp."

cheers,
Charlie