[Dixielandjazz] Re: lead sheet request

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Sat May 31 21:26:28 PDT 2003

Dear Meg,
Wim Mossel (I am sure) and I are waiting for your identification of the original
source for YOUR "Graveyard Blues".
The following songs and artists use the the graveyard theme:
(Those marked * are the same song.)
*Graveyard Blues (Lawson-White)  Teddy Grace, Georgia White
Graveyard Blues (Parrish)  Turner Parrish
Graveyard Blues (Dead And Gone Blues) (Gordon)  Jimmy Gordon
Graveyard Bound Blues (J Guy Suddoth)  Ida Cox,
Graveyard Bound Blues (not known)  Monette Moore. Not the same as the Suddoth
tune above.
*Graveyard Dream Blues (Ida Cox)  Ida Cox, Mattie Hite, Sara Martin, Hazel
Meyers, Josie Miles, Bessie Smith

I suspect this is the one you have in mind.
GRAVEYARD DREAM BLUES (1923. Ida Cox)
(1st stanza)
Blues on my mind
Blues around my head
Blues on my mind
Blues around my head
I dreamed last night
the man that I love was dead.
I went down to the graveyard,
I fell down on my knees
I went down to the graveyard,
I fell down on my knees
I asked the grave digger
To give me back my real good man please

Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: Yes, I have all of the above and was able to compare them.
PPS: Graveyard Dream Blues has no connection to Clarence Williams, so far as I
can find
PPS: Bessie Smith also did a haunting "Them's Graveyard Words".